You absolutely need the right kind of pillow for your bed. You can sleep on a bed which doesn’t have the sheets or blankets according to your style. But pillow is one such thing you can’t compromise with. You definitely need a comfortable pillow to have a good and sound sleep. If you don’t get a pillow with adequate support for your neck and head, then it can be the easiest way to invite stress and tension for your next whole day.
Ensure you sleep with a pillow that suits your body and transform the way you sleep. If you need to check that your pillow needs to be changed or not, then there is a simple way to do it. Just fold your pillow in half, and if it lies their folded without springing back to its original shape, then it is a dead pillow.
We have narrowed down some points to help you in choosing the right pillows for your bed that will give you a comfortable and restorative sleep.
Choose the right pillow foundation
Selecting a pillow is a very individual process. There is no one size fits all approach that works here.
- High Pillow Foundation: It is generally recommended for side sleepers and has a height of about five-and-a-half inches. This is so because the people who sleep by taking a side often face a problem as their shoulder’s height prevent their head from falling into alignment with the rest of the spine. So to have a comfortable elevation, a high pillow is often suggested.
- Medium Pillow Foundation– Featuring a height of about four to five inches, this pillow is the perfect choice for back sleepers. They need not worry much about the height of the pillow as sleeping on the back already helps in having a natural alignment of the head, neck, and spine. The perfect elevation and comfortable support is provided by the medium foundation level for such people.
- Low Pillow Foundation– Best for stomach sleepers, these pillows are generally two to three inches high and provide comfortable support without forcing any posture misalignment.
Choose the perfect pillow material
The best way to find what is right for you is to consider the advantages and drawbacks of different kinds of pillow material. Don’t forget to keep in mind your needs and preferences. Below are listed some of the most common types-
- Memory Foam– It is the same foam that is used in high-quality mattresses. This contouring foam technology is designed in a way that conforms to the exact shape of your head, neck, and shoulders. It helps you in giving customized comfort.
- Shredded Memory Foam– Like its namesake, this pillow is made from individual pieces of ‘shredded’ foam to design a pillow that is less likely to heat up than the traditional foam pillows. They are also much more breathable than other kinds.
- Shredded Gel-Infused Memory Foam- It is basically an innovative design of the shredded memory foam pillows that provide extra comfort with additional benefits of slow-conforming, extra-cool gel filling.
Pick the right size
You don’t need to think much when choosing the right size of pillow for your bedroom, as it doesn’t impact your sleeping posture and comfort. It can be purely based on your personal preference and also according to the size of your bed. Apart from the size, they also come in different shapes to provide you with additional support, relief, and stability. Don’t forget to cover your pillows with the right kind of fabric, as it will also add to the aesthetic value of your pillow.
Below we have listed the most common pillow sizes.
Kids Pillow: 21.75″W x 13.8″D
Standard Pillow Size: 26″W x 20″D
Queen Pillow Size: 30″W x 18″D
King Pillow Size: 35.5″W x 15.8″D